Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bento

"Bento" means pretty much "box lunch", but I feel like that doesn't adequately express what it is. A bento usually includes a main item, which could be really anything from katsu to sushi to fried chicken. Then they usually come with rice and a few other side items such as pickled vegetables, potato salad, kimchee, etc., but for your information, I've even seen spaghetti as one of the sides, with a hamburger patty as the main item. They are filling, and usually delicious. The reason I said "box lunch" doesn't adequately express the meaning is that I get the impression that I a lot of thought is usually put into a bento, more thought than what we generally think of when we hear "box lunch". The combinations of food are important, and I think they often include the Japanese idea that a good meal has many different colors in it. There's a certain number of colors that I can't remember, but I think it's somewhere between 10 and 31. I think the idea is that the meal is well-balanced, though these bentos aren't always well-balanced. Bentos can be bought at convenience stores, cafeterias, and bento shops, but people often make them at home and take them to school or work. That's probably where the idea of having a variety and well-balance of things came from, since I think that 30 colors idea mainly has to do with eating at home. I can't quite say I've made anything close to what I've described above, but I've brought rice and vegetables to school on many occasions. When I finally make my own, I'll be sure to take a picture and let all of you know. For now, he's a picture of the bento place next to my apartment.

Here's another one, closer to my school. This picture also includes my friend Vinit, who I took Japanese with at UCSC and is a video game expert and all-around rad guy, and he is holding a large chicken katsu that this bento place also sells. This place is our cheap destination usually, since they have a regular size bento that fills you up for only 292 yen, or about $3 I suppose. There's nothing special about the food, but seeing as it only costs $3 and fills you up, the fact that it tastes average actually makes it a really good deal.

Between these two places, the place next to my building tastes a lot better than this place near my school. As expected, it also costs twice as much or more ($6-$10), but they are really good. That's why a direct translation of "bento" to "box lunch" would cause a problem when simply saying "I spent $9 on my box lunch".

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The box lunch of Japan tends usually to avoid a thing with a strong smell and a watery thing.
Therefore, there is no what the Kimchi enters a Japanese box lunch.

Green Eric said...

I guess I'll have to inform the bento place next to my building then (^_^)

Anonymous said...

I am Japanese who lives in Kyoto.
After all, "tamago-yaki"(japanese omelette) might be standard in the side dish.
The tamago-yaki has various tastes by the home.
It becomes a "be・n・to・u" in the pronunciation of words in Japanese though you write bento.

Anonymous said...

Eric, Your comment was introduced by searchina. Searchina was introduced by 2 ch.
Many people issued that kimchee which you commented in Bento. They are suprised.
I have checked around 500 comments. More than 10% of these comments issued that it is incredible to find kimchee in Japanese Bento. Many people is skeptical because kimchee sparkes strong smell.
October in 2005, Kimchee War happened between china and southkorea, parasite eggs were found. Since then, Japanese people have avoided kimchee because kimchee seems to spark malicious will in many meanings.
Is that Pork kimchee Bento in Bento koubou? This is not ordinary Bento.
Any way, you should take picture the bento with kimchee and this is obligation (Funny!).

ttp://news.searchina.ne.jp/disp.cgi?y=2009&d=0624&f=national_0624_011.shtml
ttp://tsushima.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/newsplus/1245862764/

Green Eric said...

Thanks for all your comments!

Anonymous said...

A Korean seems admiring Japanese box lunch as follows.
http://blog.naver.com/khegel/100085584917
But even she is not relating to Kimchi.

Naohiko HIRANO said...

Hello, Eric. I have read your article via SEARCHINA NEWS.
I make my bento five days a week.
But I don't want to put kimchee in my bento.
Kimchee smells a lot to me.
If you are interested in my bentos,
please visit my bento photo blog at following URL.
http://naohiko7.blogspot.com/